A new year doesn’t necessarily mean a new beginning, especially in IT, as the trends set in 2023 are bound to gain momentum. So we prepared a list of the most popular publications in our blog, which will help you to navigate through the cutting-edge tools and practices and stay ahead of the game.
Migrate from Oracle Java
As Oracle took the habit of changing Java licensing and payment model every two years, enterprises consider migrating to an OpenJDK contribution to receive cost-efficient support and features absent in Oracle Java. These two articles aim to help you choose a suitable JDK vendor and migrate from Oracle without issues.
- Oracle Java alternatives: Comparison of OpenJDK distributions: Browse the key characteristics of the leading OpenJDK distributions to choose a perfect JDK for your project.
- How to migrate from Oracle JDK to OpenJDK: Follow a step-by-step guide to migrate from Oracle Java to a chosen OpenJDK distribution.
Upgrade the JDK version
Newer Java versions boost enhanced performance, security, and features facilitating the development process. However, upgrading the Java version may be associated with challenges. Articles below will guide you through all steps of upgrading to minimize risks of application failure and unexpected behavior.
- Migration from Java 8 to Java 17: Learn how to upgrade JDK 8 in an enterprise project step by step.
- Migration from Java 11 to Java 17: Find out how to migrate JDK-11 based projects to JDK 17 LTS with ease.
Optimize cloud resources consumption
Neglecting application memory footprint optimization leads to inflated cloud bills and other related troubles. These two articles provide an overview of popular solutions for reducing Java resource consumption reduction in the cloud.
- Distroless containers for security and size?: Find detailed answers to the most popular questions about distroless containers and decide whether they fit your needs.
- How to dockerize a Spring Boot app with the smallest base image: Discover an easy way to create microcontainers with Spring Boot applications without affecting the performance.
Reduce Java application startup time
JVM can deliver outstanding performance thanks to JIT-compilation, but as a drawback, startup and warmup can take up to several minutes, which is undesirable in certain deployment scenarios. These articles will navigate you through tips, methods, and technologies aimed at reducing the infamous Java startup/warmup times.
- Avoiding AWS Lambda cold starts: Discover recommendations on preventing and minimizing cold starts of Java apps in AWS Lambda.
- Spring Boot 3 with GraalVM Native Image: Find out about the specifics of migrating a Java app to the Native Image technology and learn how to avoid possible pitfalls.
- How to reduce Java application startup time: Find out methods to reduce Java application startup and warmup time to reach peak performance almost instantly.
Bonus: BellSoft’s external trending publications
BellSoft’s CEO Alex Belokrylov and Performance Architect Dmitry Chuyko regularly publish their articles on online platforms. Here are the top picks of their contributions in 2023 on the hottest Java topics.
- Buildpacks vs Dockerfiles: choose an entry point into the cloud: Learn about two most popular tools for application containerization and choose the most optimal one for your purposes.
- The Right Base Container Images: A Solid Foundation for Cloud-Native Java Apps: Find out how containers drive cloud-native development and how the right base image helps enterprises reach essential KPIs.
Want to stay on top of Java trends in 2024? Subscribe to our newsletter and be among the first to receive news, tutorials, and recommendations on efficient Java development and deployment.